I am hesitant to disclose my dirty little secret about what I am doing with my 0 to 5. To many, it might not seem like a big deal. To me, it feels like treason! Almost as extreme as heresy, though not quite, of course. But, honestly, I am breaking my one cardinal rule!
Why I believe I am an exception to my own rule:
- I haven’t dieted for 20 years. What a joy to move my body for the fun of it, to worship the Lord with the body He has given me. How wonderful it has been to be at peace with food. He didn’t put food on this earth to torment me (or you)! I can eat anything I choose within the boundaries that have fallen for me in pleasant places (Psalm 16:6)!
- I lost 100 pounds and stayed a healthy size for eight years by eating 0 to 5. That’s right! All without counting any points, calories, fat grams, or eating diet foods. I literally ate real food. Because of my compulsive exercising history, I didn’t work out in any way that leant itself to being tracked or counted. I just enjoyed sports and activities as I had in my pre-diet days. (I have always been an athlete.)
- I have a track record with 0 to 5. I trust the process implicitly:
- God made my body with signals for hunger, satisfaction, the need to expel fluid and solids (go to the bathroom), thirst, pain, sickness, need for sleep, etc. All of these are reliable signals if I am prayerful and get (what the Bible refers to as) my fleshly impulses out of the way.
- If my signals are broken in some way, they can be restored or recovered.
- While I don’t believe that Thin Within is the only way for everyone to be at peace with food, eating, and their body, it is the only way for me. I have tenaciously clung to this assertion and I continue to today.
- I don‘t absorb nutrients in my food properly. This may be due to taking antibiotics daily for the past six years. A number of lab tests indicate I struggle with malabsorption. I have wondered if this has messed with my hunger/satisfied mechanism ( #3 above). Does my body think it is starving and hold onto fat no matter what? How can I fix this, if so?
- I am OBESE again!
So, if you have all 6 of the above characteristics in your life, then perhaps you are an exception to my rule, too. But how many people really are?
Many come to Thin Within and don’t believe that it will work for them. They believe they, too, are a special case. They love the “eat whatever you want” part, but try to combine this with counting points or calories or something. (Trust me when I say that this ends up with a person doing neither well!)
Part of the Thin Within freedom experience is dependent on cutting loose from the dieting mentality altogether. Thin Within is not an alternative to dieting. It is a non-diet. It is for those who want to break free from counting, weighing, measuring anything at all! You don’t even need a bathroom scale! For those who “get” that this is a stronghold issue so much more than a weight issue!
Instead, as you continue to eat between true physical hunger and true physical satisfaction, the extra weight you carry will come off. One hundred pounds did off of me! You may not end up being the size you were in high school or in your 20s or 30s. But you will land on a healthy size for you. If you stay off a bathroom scale and don’t know a “number” to describe that size, you can continue to maintain that healthy size by continuing to eat the same way. As you release weight, your body may request less food to sustain a smaller size. It is remarkably simple! Easy…NO. Simple? Yes.
So, here goes…my rule is simply…don’t do anything else…just eat between hunger and satisfaction and go to God for everything else and you will release weight. Don’t try to combine Thin Within with dieting. Let God speak, move and wow you!
I am breaking my rule.
But, isn’t the way it appears. I am NOT dieting. I am scrutinizing my 0 and my 5 carefully…my signal for physical hunger and my signal for physical satisfaction. But, what I AM doing is tracking how many calories I ingest by eating 0 to 5 each day. AND, I am weighing myself daily.
Please, before you follow my example (don’t!) go back to the beginning of this article and read those 6 things that characterize my situation. If you have those 6 characteristics (ok, even 5 of them!), then, maybe you can qualify as an exception, too.
I have spent a lot of time seeking God about this. I have been in denial quite a bit, too.
So there you have it…my “dirty little secret” and why I am an exception to my only “rule.”
What do you think? Have I caused you to stumble? I hope not. 😬